70° Conroe, TX
The Student News Site of The Woodlands College Park High School

Cavalier Post

Cavalier Post

Cavalier Post

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

New Guideline. Same Rules

Adobe Stock

During the first day back from winter break, students were greeted by a plethora of slideshows and instructions detailing a new cell phone guideline. The new guidelines require students to put up phones and electronic devices during instructional times, unless specified by a teacher. Furthermore electronics are to be used exclusively during passing periods and lunch, with the stipulation that they are not allowed to be used to capture any sort of photograph or video. Additionally earbuds must be in only one ear, while headphones are banned in their totality. 

Yet students haven’t seen much actual change in their day to day phone usage and regulation at school. Students go through their normal routine of phone caddies and usage, just like before winter break.

For our campus, the administration had already created instructions aligned with the district’s guideline. It appears that the original College Park rules were in compliance with the new guidelines. 

We’re gonna do what’s right and we’re gonna have fun doing it

— Mark Murrell

The one change that students have been affected by is the blanket banning of over-the-ear headphones.

“Headphones are a safety issue which should have been addressed,” Dr. Murrell said. “When somebody puts headphones on, they can’t hear, and when they can’t hear our instructions, it creates problems.” 

APs have recently been in the halls watching students, trying to make sure the guidelines are being followed. Yet, the school is attempting to take a more non-confrontational stance of working with the students. 

To enforce, Dr. Murrel said the administration will need to do a better job in helping students understand why the rule is in place, and then the enforcement process for the headphones can start. “We’re trying not to create a problem with our students.”

The policy of being flexible as a conflict-free transition into new guidelines has permeated into many parts of the enforcement process. For example, under the new guidelines, advisory does not fall under the approved time for phones, yet College Park will give teachers some flexibility with phone use during advisory. Mainly because, Dr. Murrell said, some of it makes sense. “Students like to get on their phones to check grades, and they go to Canvas to check assignments, or they have notes, or a quizlet.”

It seems the transition strategy is going just as planned with a great start in the second semester. Dr. Murrell said, “I’ve seen more smiles and more talking to friends having fun when I’m walking down the hallways.”