79° Conroe, TX
The Student News Site of The Woodlands College Park High School

Cavalier Post

Cavalier Post

Cavalier Post

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Inu Baek was Dynamite at Science Fair

Inu Baek was Dynamite at Science Fair

Inu Baek, a junior at College Park’s Academy of Science and Technology was awarded first place at the state science fair in the energy: sustainable materials and design category. Inspired by the high prices of gas and carbon dioxide emissions, Baek created wheel caps that help reduce carbon dioxide emissions from cars.

“Essentially, it blocks the air entering the wheels of cars to make the car more aerodynamic, but it also uses a computer program to open and close on its own based on temperature to still allow the brakes of the wheels to cool,” said Baek.

The wheel cap is able to be applied to any current car, decreasing gas prices for its owner and helping save the environment.

“In terms of this project, I definitely want to take it further by reaching out to the automobile industry in hopes of bringing this idea to life. Right now, the only testing I have done is through a miniaturized prototype on the wheel of a toy RC car, but I would love to start thinking about how we can test life-sized models and get these wheel caps onto real cars as soon as possible,” said Baek.

As for himself, Baek hopes to combat climate change and contribute to cleaner energy by pursuing electrical or mechanical engineering.

“From giving each other presentation feedback before judging to playing cornhole and football in the fields after competition, science fair wouldn’t be what it is without all the friends I have competing with me,” said Baek regarding his favorite thing about science fair.