Spinning Into a New Season

Sophia Dinubilo

The College Park Color Guard, under the direction of Mr. Lucas Bash, has kicked off their 2022-2023 winter guard season. The season begins in early November, quickly after marching band season ends. During the winter guard season, the Varsity and Junior Varsity Color Guard teams perform a special routine where they are judged on their difficulty, cleanliness and execution of the routine. 

“The thing I like the most about winter guard is that it allows the kids to really showcase their individual talents. Color Guard director Lucas Bash said, “In the fall season, everyone gets the same choreography and basically does the same thing. On the other hand, during winter guard, the kids have the opportunity to perform tricks that they have learned and mastered on their own. It is a true display of their talents,”

February 4th- 5th, both teams competed in their first competition of the season at Morton Ranch High School in the Texas Color Guard Circuit (TCGC). The Varsity Winter Guard ended up bringing home first place, and the Junior Varsity Winter Guard team placed fourth. 

“Getting a first place win at our first competition was a great way to start out the season. I am feeling really excited and confident in the rest of the season,” senior Varsity member Ava Habib said.

The JV show for the 2023 season is about spending a day at the pool. With props consisting of a pool floor tarp, a deck and diving board, it depicts the perfect sunny summer day. The Varsity show this year is about jellyfish.

“My favorite part about performing in the JV show this year is being on the rifle line. We have really cool choreography and it is really fun to perform in front of the other guard members in the district. I love watching the flag feature in the CP Varsity show, because it is so elegant and flowy, which makes it really cool to watch.” sophomore JV member Natalie Marek said. 

On April 12th-16th, the CP Varsity Winter Guard will compete at the WGI (Winter Guard International) World Championships in Canton, Ohio. 

“This season I am most looking forward to flying to Dayton, Ohio with the Varsity Guard to compete in the world championships. Going to worlds this year is such an honor and I can’t wait to do my best,” Habib said.

Saturday, February 18th, the Varsity Guard competed at C.E. King High School in the WGI scholastic open and won the title of regional champion. The Color Guard’s next competition will be Saturday, March 4th at Cypress Park High School. Both teams will be competing their show in the TCGC circuit. 

“My goal for the guard this season is just to get stronger. Last year they were strong, and I hope this year to make more of an artistic statement. From my perspective, and their perspective, I hope that they feel more confident in their individual abilities, as well as their abilities as a team.” Bash said.