CJ Liotta

Why We Wear Pink

October 18, 2021

As we pass through October, the color pink seems to be prominent, with many attributing the pink to breast cancer awareness, but how many know what that awareness means and just how much our support matters?

Clubs and sports programs at CP are doing their part to participate in this month’s breast cancer awareness with fundraisers, pink-out-themed events, and seasonal pink uniforms. This annual campaign is not only to bring attention to the impact of breast cancer but to the importance of early detection, especially following a challenging year for breast cancer prevention. Friday, Oct. 15th, students were encouraged to wear pink for the pink-out-themed pep rally and football game to show cavalier pride while honoring breast cancer awareness.

“I think CP does a fantastic job promoting awareness,” breast cancer survivor and counselor Cindy Doud said. “From the volleyball team having pink-out shirts and game, StuCo offering pink-out shirts, cheer, drill, and football having pink-out games and pep rallies, the school really gets the word out. When I was going through my treatment, everyone on campus was so supportive, and I wouldn’t have been able to make it without the support of my CP family.”

Varsity players show support by wearing pink CP volleyball shirts. (Student Center)

With breast cancer being one of the leading health crises for women in the United States, it is vital to bring awareness to its reality so that prevention efforts can succeed. According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF), one in eight women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime, so becoming aware of the threat while young can be life-altering. Stucco sold custom-designed pink-out shirts to wear to last Friday’s game to promote this awareness. All of the shirts’ proceeds were donated to Susan G Komen. Members could also earn points in pride and patriotism by purchasing a shirt, and most students wore them to the pink-out events.

“As a Student Council officer I can speak for all of us to say that participating in Breast Cancer Awareness Month was super important to us,” senior Taylor Moore said. “We wanted to come up with a way to make people aware of it and be able to give back to an organization that supports it.”

Freshman Cheerleaders promote breast cancer awareness by wearing pink bows and using pink poms. (Hannah Dollar)

Though cancer is a broad term for various diseases, NBCF characterizes it by abnormal cells that grow and invade healthy cells in the body. Breast cancer starts in the breast cells as a group of cancer cells that can spread to surrounding tissues or other areas if not treated. Nonetheless, it is not just up to survivors to advocate for the seriousness of this invasive disease. During October, the CP cheerleaders wear pink bows and use pink poms at all of their games. The reveliers also promote awareness by wearing pink belts and using pink poms.

Student Center

“This corresponds with Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is designed to spread awareness of the disease and raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and cure,” Varsity Coach, Abigail Kolb, said. “By wearing pink bows and using pink poms, we want to do our part and honor those who have fought and continue to fight cancer.” 

Early detection is pivotal for the effects of breast cancer, making it crucial for people, not just women of all ages, to do frequent self-exams. The more factors the public considers, such as family and personal health history, genetics, gender, race, and age, the more proactive potential treatment can be. Though cancer cannot be prevented, the more awareness brought to the symptoms and risks; the better chance victims will have of being diagnosed early and having successful treatment.  

“It is extremely important to me to spread awareness and continue fighting for a cure,” Doud said. “One of my favorite things to do is support a business that provides items for those going through treatment. I would tell students to support a cause such as this or come up with an idea to give to those who are going through treatment. Chemo is very hard on your body, mind, and spirit, and receiving little pick-me-up gifts can put a smile on a patient’s face. Also, encouraging the adults in their lives to get their yearly mammograms is huge and can save a life.”

For more information about Breast Cancer and donation please visit nationalbreastcancer.org.

Cavalier Post • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in