‘Tis the Season

How CP Student Organizations are Spreading Holiday Spirit

Revelier Officers, Caitlin Harwood and Emma Weixel at the Team’s Holiday Party

Isabella Carlin, Reporter

In a year that has been characterized as chaotic and unusual, it is finally time for a sense of normalcy in the school community. The Christmas season is in full swing and Cavaliers are taking advantage of the exciting events occurring throughout the month of December. 

Multiple organizations, fine art groups, and athletic groups have planned activities for students to partake in before they leave for break on December 18th. This includes Interact, the Orchestra, and the Reveliers. All of these holiday festivities had social distancing protocols in place, so students would remain safe at all times. Virtual options have also been utilized to allow for students who would prefer to attend the event from their home to be included. 

“The orchestra program has been busy rehearsing music for our Holly Jolly performance and school concert,” Orchestra President, Nelly Castro said. “Although we are limited on performance options, the directors have set up live streams and recordings of our performances, so people can watch and listen at home.” 

Despite new guidelines and an adjusted schedule, the orchestra program has been working hard to spread holiday cheer in the community. Typically, the Symphony Orchestra performs at the Holly Jolly Pops Concert at the Pavillion in front of hundreds of families. However, this year they recorded their performance, and it will be included in the digital program. They also held their annual winter concert earlier this week in front of a limited audience and with many family members watching on the live stream. The orchestra program was able to safely share the gift of music with others during this challenging time. The Interact Club will also be partaking in a unique event this Christmas season. 

“Interact will be volunteering at Jingle Boats on December 18th and 27th. At this event we will be assisting the families who are in gathering presents along the Waterway,” Interact Event Chair, Caroline Unger said. “Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, a joyous present scavenger hunt on the water is sure to lift their quarantined spirits.” 

Although it has been difficult to find local volunteer opportunities during the pandemic, Interact has worked hard to give back to the community in special ways. They will be participating in the Jingle Boats event during Christmas break, where families will kayak under the bright lights along the Waterway and complete a scavenger hunt. This outdoor event is projected to be a community favorite this season as it will be safe to attend. Members will be a large part of this function and are looking forward to making the night special for all of the attendees. Another group at College Park also did not let the current circumstances of the pandemic damper their commitment to celebrating the holidays with their members. 

“At the Reveliers Christmas party on December 4th, everyone was spaced out in rows, we brought pillows and blankets, and we all played a few rounds of bingo together to win fun prizes. After that we all watched Elf together,” Major Caitlin Harwood said. “Even if it wasn’t our traditional holiday party, getting to relax and celebrate the holidays with everyone outside of practice was a lot of fun and just what we needed to destress from the semester.” 

Although they were not able to participate in their annual progressive dinner party where members would eat each course at a different home, the Reveliers were still able to enjoy quality time with one another. The festive celebration also provided the girls with an opportunity to commemorate their successful football season and semester. The Reveliers, Interact, and Orchestra organizations were all able to take challenges and turn them into memorable experiences for their members this holiday season. 

“I believe that by staying strong and continuing to create music shows our program’s dedication in the most unlikely circumstances and we hope it brings people joy this season,” Orchestra President Nelly Castro said.